A Handy Termite Prevention Guide For Reno Homeowners
May 25, 2022
Despite being less common than other insects, termites can cause a great deal of damage to your Reno home. They're able to chew through wood without you even noticing.
Homeowners typically deal with two types of termites: subterranean and dry wood. Each type presents its challenges. For this reason, you need to be proactive in preventing an infestation. A seasoned Reno pest control company can help you with this task. When dealing with Reno termites, you can't afford to wait. Contact a reliable pest control firm today.
About The Termite Caste System
Termites are social insects that live in colonies. Three primary castes make up these colonies: the reproductives, the soldiers, and the workers.
The reproductives are responsible for breeding new termites. The soldiers make up a small portion of the colony, and their primary responsibility is to protect the territory from predators or other threats. The workers are the most plentiful caste and are in charge of gathering food and building the colony's nests.
In most cases, the workers cause damage to homes as they're constantly seeking out food sources. Wood is an easy source of food for them, so homes made out of wood are at risk of being damaged by these insects.
Therefore, you need to be aware of the telltale signs of a termite infestation and take action immediately if you notice any of them.
Some common signs to look out for include:
- Mud tubes: These are tiny tubes made out of mud that termites use to travel from their nests to their food source without being exposed in the open.
- Damaged wood: This is one of the most apparent signs of a termite infestation. If you begin to notice any evidence of damage, such as windows and doors that begin to stick, drooping drywall, or loose tiles, it's likely a result of termite damage.
- Swarmers: If you see flying termites around your property, it's a good indication of a nest nearby.
- Termites: While they are not often caught out in the open, adult termites on your property are another sign of an infestation. You're most likely to see them near mud tubes or damaged wood.
If you suspect you have a termite problem, don't hesitate to reach out to pest control for assistance. These professionals will assist you with termite identification and recommend the best course of treatment.
The Extent Of Damage Termites Can Create To Your Home
While most insects only cause cosmetic damage to homes, termites can threaten the structural integrity of your property. They can chew through wooden surfaces, including floors, walls, and even support beams. If left unchecked, this damage can cause your home to become unstable.
Aside from the physical damage they cause, termites can also be responsible for a great deal of financial ruin. The average cost of repairing termite damage is around $3000. This doesn't include the cost of subterranean termite treatment in Reno.
Therefore, it's vital to take action as soon as you suspect you have a termite issue. The earlier you address the challenge, the less damage termites will be able to do.
Five Naturally Effective Termite Prevention Tips
Luckily, you can take steps to prevent termites from taking up residence in your home. These include:
- Eliminate any soil to wood contact, making it harder for termites to enter your home.
- Store firewood away from your home.
- Keep gutters clean and address any sources of excess water pooling around your foundation as water-damaged wood attracts termites.
- Make sure there's proper ventilation in your crawl space to eliminate excess humidity.
- Seal any cracks or crevices in your foundation that could provide access points to termites and other pests.
These preventive measures will make it less likely for termites to take residence in or around your home.
However, the best way to protect your property is to invest in termite control and prevention services. A quality Reno pest control company will provide you with these services.
The Best Way To Protect Your Home From Termites
When it's all said and done, the best way to protect your home from these destructive pests is to contact the best termite control company for your Reno home.
Here at Celtic Pest Control, we're proud to offer our Reno clients a wide range of home pest control and commercial pest control services designed to keep your home safe from pests. Our team of experienced and certified professionals will work with you to create a customized plan that meets the specific needs of your home. We'll also provide you with tips and advice on preventing pests from becoming a problem in the future.
If you're concerned about termites or any other pests, don't hesitate to contact us today. We'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
What Celtic Pest Control Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"