Do ants try to invade your counter every time you prepare or eat a meal? When it comes to ant control in Reno, here’s what homeowners should know about the most common types of ants, what kind of issues an ant infestation causes, how to prevent ants, and why professional pest control in Reno is the best form of ant control.
Common Types Of Ants That Invade Reno Homes
Some of the most common types of ants that may invade and infest your Reno home include:
- Argentine ants: Argentine ants are strong foragers and will often create multiple colonies in the same building or home once they’ve established a food source.
- Acrobat ants: With light brown coloring, acrobat ants get their name from the unique way that they can raise their abdomens over their thorax. If you see this move up close, it can look like these ants are performing a gymnastics routine. Because of how they dig their homes, acrobat ants can cause damage to your home if they decide to nest there.
- House ants: You may also hear odorous house ants called “sweet ants” for two reasons – along with the sweet tooth they tend to have, these ants also give off a rotten smell when they’re crushed.
- Carpenter ants: With strong jaws, carpenter ants eat through damp wood, and their presence can lead to structural damage in your home if an infestation goes untreated.
- Pharaoh ants: Pharaoh ants are one of the easiest species to recognize due to their tan to yellow coloring. Not only are these critters a nuisance when they go after your food, but they can also spread bacteria. Pharaoh ants are especially troubling in hospitals or other healthcare facilities.
- Pavement ants: As their name suggests, pavement ants like to build their colonies and nests in the cracks of concrete or pavement. Their nest may start outside, but if they think there’s a food source in your home, these ants won’t hesitate to stop by.
Regardless of the type of ant, having an ant colony in or near your home is problematic.
The Issues An Ant Infestation Can Create In Your House
Their tiny size may not feel like it poses much of a threat, but there are a couple of different reasons why ants can be so troubling in your Reno home, including:
- They’re extremely difficult to get rid of, and many ant colonies can easily grow their numbers into the thousands.
- Since they’re interested in food, ants may start showing up every time you cook, eat dinner, or just leave leftovers sitting out.
- Certain types of ants, like carpenter ants or acrobat ants, can cause structural damage or property damage if they start to nest near or inside your home.
- Other types of ants, like pharaoh ants, are capable of spreading bacteria or pathogens.
Regardless of which category your ants fall into, all ants are a nuisance, and almost no infestation goes away on its own.
Five Eco-Friendly Ant Prevention Tips For Around Your Home
Along with using professional pest control, here’s how to get rid of ants in Reno and prevent future issues:
- Always keep food in sealed containers or packaging, and avoid leaving any leftovers sitting out (including pet food).
- Wipe off counters and tables after you’ve prepared or eaten food to get rid of excess crumbs.
- Make sure you solve any drainage or moisture issues around your property as this can also draw ants inside.
- Use caulk or foam to seal up any cracks or crevices that might provide ants with an easy way into your home.
- Get rid of damp wood around your property, which may attract carpenter ants.
Remember, the tips above aren’t a replacement for professional pest control and are most effective when used along with professional help.
Professional Ant Control Is The Best Way To Get Rid Of Ants
Along with taking steps to naturally prevent ants with the tips above, the real trick to ant control for homeowners is working with the professionals at Celtic Pest Control. With safe techniques and effective solutions that will keep these pests away permanently, we can help you keep your Reno home ant-free, regardless of which ant might be trying to invade your space.
If you are spotting ants around your Reno home, you likely have an infestation that will only worsen without professional help or treatments. Contact us today at Celtic Pest Control to learn more about our ant control program or to schedule your inspection.
What Celtic Pest Control Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"