They may look like little white ants, but these pests are a whole lot more destructive once they're in your Reno home. Here's what local residents should know about the role that termites play in the ecosystem, how they infest and destroy wooden structures, what attracts termites, and the secret to total termite control with pest control in Reno.
The Role Termites Play In The Ecosystem
These critters cost homeowners close to five billion dollars in property damage annually, and they're one of the most – if not the most destructive pest – you can have in your home. However, termites can be beneficial for the environment.
Here's a quick list of must-know facts about termites and what role they play in the ecosystem:
- Termites burrow into the ground, which allows them to aerate the soil and make it more nutrient-rich.
- Since they feed on the cellulose in dead plants and their excretions cause the soil to stick together, termites can prevent soil erosion over time.
- Eating dead plants allows more room for new, healthy crops to grow and flourish in the same spot.
- Termites are a food source for several other organisms and a vital part of the food chain.
Beyond their benefits to the ecosystem, termites are also considered a delicacy in certain parts of the world, including Asia and Africa. While you may not want them anywhere near your house, they can be a welcome addition to someone else's dinner.
How Termites Infest & Destroy Wooden Structures
While termites can cause a lot of damage, this doesn't happen quickly. A large colony of termites, which could include millions of individual termites, can eat up to a pound of wood per day. Most of the time, termite damage isn't noticeable for at least three years, although it can sometimes take up to eight years for the damage to become evident.
The bigger the infestation, the sooner you'll notice the destruction of your home. If you've got a large colony of termites in your Reno home, they can cause significant structural damage if left untreated.
Once termites establish an infestation, the colony will begin producing alates. Alates are reproductive termites that can fly, find a mate, and start building additional colonies nearby. If this happens in your home, it'll only give termites more opportunities to cause structural damage.
Factors That Attract Termites To Your Property
What attracts termites? Termites are generally attracted to the same few factors:
- Moisture and humidity
- Cellulose materials, including wood
- Damp, soft, or rotting wood
Termites aren't as preventable as some pests are, but there are a couple of ways that you can make it harder for them to gain access to your home, such as:
- Termites love cellulose and wood products, so store firewood, woodpiles, and any cellulose materials at least twenty feet away from your home's foundation.
- Termites require moisture to survive, so deal with any drainage issues around your property, such as leaky pipes, obstructed or flooded gutters, and anything else that may be causing water to pool around your foundation.
- Regularly trim tree branches, vegetation, and shrubs located near your home that may provide termites an easy way inside.
- Don't leave rotting or moisture-damaged wood around your property, as this can also attract termites.
- Limit soil-to-wood contact, which may also lead to moisture damage and attract termites.
Minimizing the factors that attract termites can help protect your home, but these measures are not a guarantee.
The Secret To Total Termite Control For Your Property
When it comes to how to stop termites, there's only one practical solution that will get the job done: working with Celtic Pest Control in Reno. Not only do we provide effective treatments that will rid your home of termites, but if you'd like to catch infestations early, we can also perform home inspections.
Annual home inspections can find termite infestations before they've caused too much damage as well as identify potential termite attractions. If you suspect your Reno home could have termites or you're interested in scheduling a home inspection with one of our experienced termite specialists, don't wait around. Contact us today at Celtic Pest Control to learn more about how we can help your Reno home stay completely termite-free all the time.
What Celtic Pest Control Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"