The Most Effective Scorpion Control For Reno Properties
May 05, 2022
What is the scariest pest you can imagine finding around your home? You might first imagine spiders as they are one of the most hated pests in general, but there's another similar pest that is also upsetting to discover. Scorpions are also arachnids related to spiders, and while they don't have fangs they use to bite, they do have a large stinger that they use to inject venom.
Not all scorpions in Reno are dangerous, but some of them do pose health risks. Discover all you need to know about scorpions in the area and how to get effective scorpion control from a Reno pest control company.
How To Identify A Scorpion
There are different kinds of scorpions in Nevada, but one of the most common is the striped bark scorpion. This species is also the most dangerous and the only scorpion in the area considered medically significant.
The striped bark scorpion is a tan to light brown color with darker brown markings on its back. They are relatively small and only get around two to three inches long, and they have two claw-like pincers and a large stinger. These scorpions also glow blue under UV light, so this is often a good way to detect them around your home or yard.
The Problems Scorpions Can Create Around Your Property
Most scorpions are relatively harmless, but being stung is still unpleasant. However, striped bark scorpions can send even healthy adults to the hospital in rare cases. They are particularly dangerous to young children. If you have kids in your home, you should take extra care to prevent these arachnids.
The other issue with scorpions is that they often indicate an underlying pest problem. Scorpions invade properties while searching for their insect prey, so you could also have an insect problem to address, even if you don't realize it yet.
Five Easy And Effective Scorpion Prevention Tips
If you're trying to keep scorpions away from your Reno home, there are five effective measures you can implement. These are:
- Provide general pest prevention: To deter their pest prey, make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids and immediately clean up food and drink spills. Take care to clean up around kitchens and pantries.
- Reduce moisture problems: Striped bark scorpions like damp environments, so fix leaky plumbing and remove any standing water issues.
- Seal up the property: Keep scorpions from entering by patching holes in the walls and foundation and installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Clean up around the yard: Remove scorpion hiding places by throwing away mulch, old lumber, and leaf litter. Scorpions often hide in woodpiles or under large stones, so take care to get rid of these spots.
- Get help from the pros: Contact the team at Celtic Pest Control for prevention assistance.
Our home pest control plans are the simplest way to get ongoing scorpion prevention. And, if you already have a scorpion concern, we can help you with that, too.
The Trick To Total Scorpion Control For Reno Properties
Finding scorpions around your property is never a pleasant experience.
Don't try to remove these scary pests on your own; give our team a call today. We offer both ongoing prevention of these pests and eradication services. We will address the underlying causes of scorpion infestations by removing their pest prey. Contact us today to request a service visit or to get a quote.