How To Be Sure Termites Aren't Tearing Up Your Reno Home
February 10, 2023
Each year, termites inflict more than two and a half billion dollars in damages to American homes. Flying through holes in window screens or crawling through the damp dirt and up to the floor joists and walls of your house, these tiny, rarely noticed insects will consume the wood in your home and have an appetite that puts sumo wrestlers to shame. Termites feed on cellulose, extracting nutrients from the wood itself and, in the process, tunnel holes in it, weakening and destroying it from within.
In the Reno area, you're likely to encounter one of these three species of termites:
- Drywood termites grow to 1 inch long and have long, narrow, creamy white to light brown bodies. Drywood termites are the most common culprits behind the damage done to houses with dry wood.
- Subterranean termites are tiny, usually less than 1/8 of an inch in length, with creamy white to black colored bodies. As the name suggests, subterranean termites live in huge underground colonies and invade trees or wooden structures using mud tubes to get to them.
- Dampwood termites, usually 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch in size, are noticeably larger than most other species of termites. They are creamy white to light brown with long, oval bodies. Dampwood termites are the least likely termite specie to become a problem in your house simply because the water content in the wood used to build it is usually way too low for their taste.
Regardless of the species, your best bet to avoid damage to your house is to spot the infestation early and have the little wood eaters evicted from the premises.
Let's look at the signs of termites inside your home to watch for, investigate some termite prevention tips, and, just in case prevention fails, learn how to find a good pest control service in Reno.
The Role Termites Play In Our Ecosystem
Termites are nature's recyclers, tirelessly working at converting dead trees into fertile soil. Subterranean termites aerate the ground, allowing plants to grow better and water to reach deeper roots. No matter how disgusting or harmful a creature is, it simply would not exist if it didn't have a useful role in the ecosystem around us.
Signs Of Termites To Be On The Watch For Around Your Home
As useful as termites are in the nature around us, their arrival in our houses means nothing but trouble. Watch for the following signs of a termite infestation:
- Small round holes in wood and little piles of sawdust by them
- Peeling and bubbling paint
- Wood that sounds hollow
- The presence of termite swarmers (flying reproductive termites)
Signs of a termite presence can be very hard to catch, especially when dealing with subterranean termites.
Factors That Attract Termites To Homes And How To Remove Them
Termites see your house in very simple terms; it's a food source. Since there is no real way we can rid a home of the wooden members that termites are looking to eat, let's look at how we can make them as unappealing to termites as possible.
- Keep moisture away from the foundation.
- Make sure only treated wood comes in contact with the ground.
- Seal cracks and crevices to keep swarmers out.
- Schedule regular termite inspections.
Termites are widespread in Nevada, making termite preventative measures ever more important.
The Best Termite Control For Reno Properties
If, regardless of your efforts, you're starting to suspect a termite infestation in your home, get in touch with a termite control professional immediately. At Celtic Pest Control, we've been assisting Reno residents with their pest control for many years and would love to help you with your termite problem.
If your home is under siege by termites, give us a call today!
What Celtic Pest Control Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"
Contact Celtic Pest Control Today!(775) 348-7445
Reach out to us for immediate pest solutions in Reno, NV, and surrounding areas.