Helpful Spider Prevention Tips For Around Your Reno Home
March 07, 2022
There are many types of spiders in Reno, some more dangerous than others.
Most common household spiders are thought of as nuisance pests, meaning their presence is not a matter of danger or destruction but an inconvenience. However, other spiders, such as black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders, deliver painful, venomous bites that can be life-threatening in some cases.
With both of these spiders present in the area, the safest way to practice prevention year-round is with pest control in Reno.
Read on to learn about the lifecycle of common household spiders and why you don’t want spiders hanging around your home. We also offer six practical tips on preventing spiders and the best spider control solution for your Reno home.
The Lifecycle Of Common Spiders
Common household spiders include American grass spiders, daddy long legs, jumping spiders, and wolf spiders.
Spiders have three phases of development: the egg, spiderling, and adult.
Generally, typical house spiders live for about a year or two. During this time, female spiders may produce more than 4,000 eggs.
Why Don’t You Want Spiders Hanging Around Your Home?
Although a few spiders here and there, particularly outdoors, are known to help manage other pest populations, like flies and moths, too much of anything isn’t necessarily good, and such is the case with spiders.
Having too many spiders can signify additional problems, such as:
- Moisture issues in or out of the home, such as pooling water, overflowing gutters, leaking pipes, or clogged drains.
- An underlying pest problem, such as earwigs, flies, moths, mosquitoes, or cockroaches, attracts spiders.
- Too much clutter provides these pests with places to nest and hide out.
When the weather is warm and wet or humid, you can expect to see spiders out on your property.
Six Naturally Effective Spider Prevention Tips
You'll need to have a game plan to keep spiders from entering your Reno home. Here are six practical tips on ways to get rid of spiders and keep them from coming back:
- Contact your local pest control professional. Skilled technicians will map out a plan of action based on the needs of your home and family.
- Resolve moisture issues. Spiders go to damp, dark, and warm environments, which is when there’s a leaky pipe or faucet or a clogged drain.
- Seal cracks in the foundation or exterior-facing walls where spiders and other pests may be entering.
- Repair damage surrounding window and door frames and also screens.
- Keep a clutter-free home, as mess only provides pests with more hiding places.
- Turn off the lights at night or switch to yellow bulbs to avoid attracting flies, moths, mosquitoes, and other pests, which fall prey to spiders.
As an added tip, you may consider using peppermint oil around the entryways and windows of your home or places where spiders congregate. Add a few drops of peppermint oil to a water-filled spray bottle and spray these areas periodically throughout the week.
The Best Spider Control Solution For Your Home
Because some spiders, like the black widow spider and brown recluse spider, can pose a danger to people, it’s wisest to leave spider control to the professionals.
Celtic Pest Control provides homes and businesses in Reno with high-quality pest control solutions that work. With the skills, expertise, and equipment needed to get the job done, our skilled technicians will determine the pests present in your home and the factors attracting them. Then, we’ll implement solutions to ensure these spiders never come back.
For help with spiders and other pests, call Celtic Pest Control today.
What Celtic Pest Control Customers Are Saying
"My overall experience with your company was very good. They were on time and professional. They did good work and answered all questions we had. From the first point of contact with your company, we have had a good experience. Great customer service. We will use them in the future and highly recommend them!"